My mom arrived in Malaysia last October. Prior to her coming here, we applied for a social visit pass from the Malaysian embassy in the Philippines. The plan was for her to spend Christmas and New Year with us, thus, we applied for 3 months. When she came here, the immigration officer only stamped her passport for 60 days, which leaves us 1 month short.
Since this was the case, we had to apply for her visa extension. This is to avoid any immigration problems, over staying to be specific. I did some research and to be honest, it was not easy as there were a lot of conflicting information on the Internet. Some directed me to apply in Putrajaya, some to Jalan Duta, all advised to come early to finish early as queues can be crazy.
I considered 2 things. First, we will have to go on a Monday, which was my day off. Based on feedback, the busiest was either Monday or Friday. Since it was my only weekday off, we went for Monday (no choice. lol!). Second, we brought Geoff with us. My mom could not go alone, and we had to leave early, thus we could not drop Geoff from school during that time. Plus we do not have any guaranty that we will finish in time for his school dismissal.
We left the house at around 6:30AM. I booked an Uber and arrived at the Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri in Jalan Duta a little after 7AM. We were dropped off from the lobby and proceeded to the first floor. On the first floor is the passport renewal and application. We were told to go further, past the connecting hallway and joined a queue there. Just like in one of the blogs I read, there are hardly any english instructions. The room we waited for to open was the office that handles visas, social pass and extension. Having arrived early, there were less than 20 people on the queue.
The office opened at around 7:30AM, they called the seniors and those with children (below 2 years old) first then everybody queued up for Counter 24. Based on what was written on it, the said counter processes social visit visas and extension. The officer got my mom’s papers then directed us to the second floor. They were quite unclear where because there were several offices there. After a few minutes of asking and going into the offices, we got to the 1Serve office. We were asked to get a number, then the officer reviewed my mom’s requirements and were told to go back after an hour for the passport. That was 8AM then and we were able to finish by 9AM. We also paid RM 50 for an extension until January 9.
So to sum up:
- Ride a taxi/Book a car going to Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri. The exact address is 69, Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- From the lobby, go up one floor, straight through the glass door and the office will be on the right side.
- Prepare the forms accordingly. We brought 2 copies of the Form IMM.55 (Link is here), information and pass copy from my mom’s passport, and her confirmed return flight details.
- After queuing from Kaunter 24, go back the connecting hallway and look for the 1Serve office. It will be the farthest office on the right side, near the escalators. It’s hard to miss as it has the 1Serve tarpauline everywhere.
- Get a number, wait for your number to be called, once the officer is done processing, ask how long, and come back.
- Pay the necessary fee and receive your passport with the extended visa.
Here are some helpful links:
Requirements for the social visit extension: Link
Address for the Kompleks Kementerian Dalam Negeri: 69, Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia